Riddle of the month

You have two pieces of string and a lighter. Each piece of string takes 1-hour to burn but not in a predictable or linear way (eg. it could burn 90% in 1 minute and the remaining 10% in 59 minutes). Using the two pieces of string, can you reliably measure 15 minutes?

Think you have the answer? First 3 to email me the correct answer get a signed post-card.


Can you measure 30 minutes? How?

Book of the month

A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki

Follows a young Japanese protagonist who makes sense of her very challenging life by learning her family's backstory from her grandmother who lives a quiet and secluded life of meditation. Presents the challenging juxtaposition of forced (kamikaze pilots) and compelled suicide.